Pages

23 November 2009

HOW TO MAKE A WOOL DIAPER COVER From a Wool Sweater





Old sweaters make great inexpensive cloth diaper covers. They are simple to make and look really cute on, but they don't photograph well without a little diapered bum filling them out (hence all the above photos to convince you to keep on reading).



This is probably the simplest of wool diaper covers to make, and one of the most economical. One adult-sized, felted sweater should yield you two covers with spare parts left over.

Cut off the front of your felted sweater. The smaller your sweater, the smaller your finished cover will be.


Fold that piece in half and trim it so that both of the long sides are even. This will leave you with a nice triangle. *Keep the bottom hem of the sweater on the bottom of the triangle. This is going to form your waistband so you won't need to do any finishing.



Here is my triangle opened up. While it's flat, go ahead an embellish the seat with appliques if you'd like.



With the wrong side of the sweater facing you, and the nice former hem/future waistband at the top, fold up the tip of the triangle.




Next, fold in the two sides. Sew them closed about two thirds of the way down. The bottom third is going to be the leg opening. Smarter people than me would measure their baby's thigh first and go with this measurement for an opening. This is the view from the inside.




Two sweater cuffs (any sweater - mix it up if you'd like) are going to finish the leg openings.



Here's what they look like sewed into place:




And here's a view from the inside:



That's it. DONE. As I say, these little things look great on, but appear so wonky in the photos.



Why not a matching top to show off your artwork?




My babes has gazillions of these covers now, so most of the ones you see here are available in my Etsy store. If you feel up to sewing your own, check out this giveaway goodness at Resweater's blog. She's giving away two sweaters from her shop. Click the link for the how-to-enter details.

26 comments:

Resweater said...

Wow! Not only are those super cute, but your prices are so low! I love that top one... reminds me of bloomers :)

mamaTAVE said...

The next pair I make are going to have an applique... I haven't tried that yet, but they are so darn cute! 'Tis the season for longies now, and my daughter doesn't wear diapers anymore, and they are great for nighttime and the occasional accident that happens while in a deep sleep...

Laurie Anne said...

These are so inventive! Where were you just over 12 years ago? LOL...Never mind, where was my imagination! ;)
Kool creation-as always! xx

Nicole said...

I really wish I could have figured this out five years ago when my youngest was in daipers! Wool covers were so expensive I only had ONE for each stage!! I am so excited to be making these for my neices and nephews!! THANK YOU !!!

The Crafty Crafter said...

Ok I can't find the post where you were asking for Womens underwear tutorials but I found a great site! : http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/Ahe6Sr/www.wonderhowto.com/wonderment/old-t-shirts-reincarnated-as-underwear-0113360/

FreedByHim said...

That's it! I am going to the thrift store to find a wool (or felted) sweater and will try this. These look SO easy. Thanks for posting and posting with pictures. I definitely needed the visual to put it together :-)

Lauren said...

Ok, maybe this is a dumb question, but how do I know if a sweater is felted or not?

The Sewing Dork said...

I guess there is no way to know whether a sweater has been felted already - you just have to wash it in hot water and heat dry it and it will be felted. No harm in repeating the process.

Olivier said...

How do you wash the wool diaper cover, and how often? Once it's felted is it OK to put in the wash with the other cloth diapers, or do you need to do something special to it.

The Sewing Dork said...

You can wash wool diaper covers, ideally by hand with a lanolin based soap (just Google how to make your own if you cannot find it for sale. Good wool shops sell it). You could machine wash them too, but only on cold water, and don't electric-dry them. The heat is what makes them felt and shrink so more shrinkage could occur.

Olivier said...

great, thanks! I just tried this, and could not believe how ridiculously easy it was. I am very much a beginner to sewing, and I whipped up 2 of these in about an hour, that was total time cutting, putting a little picture on the bum, and all the sewing. Of course they're not perfect, but I love them!

Jen Crum said...

I've seen a few tutorials for wool soakers, but none this simple... thanks!

scody said...

Wow thank you! I have seen pictures of these but was never sure about them and the simplicity if your tutorial inspired me to cut up a sweater I've been saving to make soakers for ages! I cut it up and in 20 minutes had covers for both my toddlers! With them bouncing off the walls and being in the midst of packing to move, it felt like such an accomplishment. Thank you again!
http://mamabubbles.blogspot.com

Grateful said...

Ok, may I ask (since I have no idea) do you still use another layer in-between the dipe and the wool cover? Or is the wool just that good? No leaks? I'm well taught in the pul cover way but wool is something new and seems somewhat mysterious!

The Sewing Dork said...

No, there is no extra layer in there. Wool IS that good!

Carolyn said...

Did you measure anything to get the waist to be the appropriate size? Or did you know from previous experience what size sweater to buy to make the right size for your baby?

Jenn said...

Can you use any kind of cloth for the applique?

The Sewing Dork said...

Yes, you should be able to use any kind of fabric on the applique. I just like using wool since it doesn't fray.

Tanya said...

Okay... LOVE your tutorial! Love you for putting it up! I have a colicky baby, a toddler and very little sanity left. But I have been wanting to make some diaper covers and I used your tutorial. THANK YOU SO MUCH. They look like a million bucks.

Beth said...

Could you use a sweater that's not 100% wool? I went to my local Goodwill and a lot of the sweaters were 80% wool, 20% angora rabbit.

chipper87 said...

I can't wait to try this!!! Do you have a way to make them in wrap style too?

chipper87 said...

I can't wait to try this!!! Do you have a way to make them in wrap style too?

chipper87 said...

I can't wait to try this!!! Do you have a way to make them in wrap style too?

The Sewing Dork said...

On my right side bar, click the label that says "diapers" to see all the different styles I have done tutes for.

Fluffy The Rainbow Sheep said...

Is there a way to make a wool diaper cover without the wool sweater? I was given a box of fabric that my great aunt hadn't seen since the 70s and it has LOTS of bright colorful wool fabric cuts that were going to become clothing. I am a bit stumped on how to use these to make covers, is it even possible? Thanks!

J said...

I am having problems with the rise in the front being shorter then the back. I can't seem to keep the diaper under the cover. I tried two different size sweaters but had the same problem both times, how can I fix this?