Pages

09 January 2010

The Little Golden Coat




I based a whole coat on the buttons.








I'd been pondering this vintage McCall's coat pattern and these buttons that I purchased from howbeadyful since last summer, but had an a-ha moment when I read this post at the Sugar City Journal blog.

The Sugar City gals lined their coats with embroidery and a scene inspired by Little Red Riding Hood. I took Little V's vintage Little Golden books and printed her favorite scenes onto iron-on transfer paper. Now when she's bored waiting in line at the grocery store with me, she can tell me her version of The Store-Bought Doll, Dr. Dan The Bandage Man, Frosty the Snowman or The Three Little Kittens. That is if she can stop fondling the buttons.

This 1940's era photo inspired the hat. I modified the McCall's pattern (several times over) to make my cap a separate piece rather than attach it. I was hoping for more of a pilot's cap, but this version turned out okay too.

The hat and coat are decorator-weight linen. I used cotton to line the coat. Ugh - I nearly suffered an aneurysm trying to sort out the instructions, so finally I cut out the pattern pieces and winged it from there. There are lots of little mistakes in the sewing, but I'm totally in love with the coat. I think I'm crowning it my favorite work ever.

19 comments:

Shannon said...

You are so talented! I love your projects - it may be the only reason that I want to have a little girl lol - those buttons are too cute and great idea for the book illustrations-to-iron-on-transfers!

Resweater said...

I absolutely ADORE that coat! I am so envious of your sewing talents!

Leslie and Melissa said...

I love to wing it=) So much more meaningful! I can't believe how cute the inside is and such a unique piece. You little one is one lucky girl=) Melissa

Linda @ Craftaholics Anonymous said...

What a great coat! Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.
Linda

lilybee said...

I LOVE it. A beautiful coat with extra magic on the inside! Very well done you.

Care said...

Wow -- "favorite work ever" is a hefty title!! and I do believe this gorgeous coat has earned that title! It is beautiful!

Sarah Nicole said...

I'm pretty sure I gasped in rapture at that first picture! What a gorgeous coat! Great work!!

Melissa said...

It looks AMAZING! Very professional looking. What a showcase of you sewing and pattern talents.

mamaTAVE said...

Oh... the Pokey Little Puppy Button is the best! My sister and I grew up with that book, and even had a record that read it to us on our plastic Fischer Price record player! Memories...

Trisha said...

The coat is amazing. Great job!

Sarah said...

That is a stunning coat! I love the buttons - they really are the perfect finishing touch. Job well done! :)

Laurie Anne said...

Those buttons...that coat...{swoon}

Anna said...

super cute coat, it's beautiful!

Two Mittens said...

Adorable! I have the pattern for the Sugar City coat, but I'm too scared to try it.
Yours is super sweet!

mlandry said...

Oh my gosh- the coat is amazing!

Jaclyn said...

Wow! You are AMAZING. I love that jacket.

Jane said...

I am crazy for this! My favorite part of Little Golden books was always the characters from other books in the liner papers and on the back. You have captured both. This is awesome!

Clementine's Shoes said...

Fantastic coat! Love the style and really brilliant idea with the lining. Love it!

mommabear said...

Lovely, just lovely!!!